Saturday, June 04, 2005

A site to introduce good investment books 0 comments



(P.S: Sorry for any disturbances the advertisements above may have caused you)
I have observed that there is growing interest in stocks investment in Singapore; there are more and more people surfing the online share forums and hanging around the Personal Investment bookshelves in Borders. At the same time, this new generation of stock holders are understandably uncertain about how to build up their knowledge of the market.

I can empathise with that because I was a rookie investor once too. With beginners' luck, I made money on my first few trades, but without a consistent method and sufficient knowledge of how businesses and share prices function the gains soon turned to losses. It became clear to me that it was important to build up a framework of understanding in this field, in the way that subjects like Mathematics or Physics were structured in school. Of course, the structuring and teaching of the latter was done for us, for investing we have to structure the self-improvement process ourselves.

I remain a firm believer that market experience through actual buying and selling is the best teacher of trading psychology, but understanding of the key parts of investing, such as market history, theory of investment, philosophy, key players etc, can all be culled, integrated and internalised through the many investment books on the market today. Sometimes I find that the older the book, the more relevant and enduring the teachings (some might recognise this as the "survivorship bias"-- these classics have survived to this day precisely because they have proven to be relevant over the years).

I shall provide descriptions in this site of interesting investment books I have read. Those that I cover will be books that I have read before; I have quite a voracious appetite for investment books. As space is limited, I will mainly focus on my general opinions about the usefulness of the book. Those interested can check up sites such as Amazon to get more details, such as the table of contents for the book.

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home